Podcast Episode #366
Growing as a leader is important to grow in ministry. Today, we discuss a post by Sam Rainer on the five ways you can grow as a leader in the church.
Some highlights from today’s episode include:
- Bad leaders are stingy with knowledge. Good ones share what they know.
- One sign of insecurity is withholding information from others.
- Don’t expect more effort from those you lead than what you’re willing to put in yourself.
- The number one challenge of leaders is having followers.
- For church staff members, encouragement from the senior pastor is critical.
- Sometimes a leader needs to be a fire marshal, not a fire fighter.
- Too much of church life is “fire fighting.”
The five ways you can improve as a church leader that we cover in this episode are:
- By sharing your knowledge.
- By raising the bar of expectations.
- By shifting from a discouraging posture to an encouraging posture.
- By becoming proactive change agents instead of reactive change agents.
- By encouraging cooperation rather than competition.
Vanderbloemen Search Group is the premier pastor search firm dedicated to helping churches and ministries build great teams. Their Fall Lead Pastor and Executive Pastor Coaching Networks are now open for registration, and our very own Dr. Rainer will be speaking at the Fall Lead Pastor Coaching Network.
So if you’re a Lead Pastor or an Executive Pastor looking for peer roundtable coaching, check it out at vanderbloemen.com/coaching. It’s limited to 16 folks, so apply today before it fills up.
Midwestern Seminary is interested in helping you get to the field faster. And they’re serious about training leaders for the church. That’s why they’ve created the all-new Accelerate Program. In Midwestern’s Accelerate Program, students earn both Bachelor of Arts degree and Master of Divinity degree in just 5 years of intensive study. That’s a B.A. and an M.Div. at the same time. This innovative residential program combines rigorous academic training with practical ministry preparation, resulting in one of the most effective programs around, so that you can pursue your ministry calling as soon as possible.
Two degrees in five years – all in one program: Accelerate at Midwestern Seminary. Take the next step by visiting mbts.edu/accelerate.
If you have a question you would like answered on the show, fill out the form on the podcast page here on Church Answers.