Podcast Episode #381
While some circumstances do call for quick pastoral turnover, it’s hard not to wonder if some churches fire their pastor (or the pastor bails) too quickly. Today, we cover the problems that result from this.
Some highlights from today’s episode include:
- Churches tend to hire the opposite of what they previously had. They swing the pendulum the other way.
- When a pastor bails on a church or is fired, the staff is often left to pick up the pieces.
- You cannot execute a vision at once. It takes time.
- For pastors, far too often “God told me” becomes a convenient cover for “this is hard, and I want out.”
- For churches, far too often “God told us” becomes a convenient cover for “we don’t want to change.”
The five problems we discuss are:
- Members lose trust in the pastors, and pastors lose trust in churches.
- Your current church will wonder if it will happen to them.
- The staff is demoralized.
- The vision of the church is clouded.
- Financial waste.
Midwestern Seminary is interested in helping you get to the field faster. And they’re serious about training leaders for the church. That’s why they’ve created the all-new Accelerate Program. In Midwestern’s Accelerate Program, students earn both Bachelor of Arts degree and Master of Divinity degree in just 5 years of intensive study. That’s a B.A. and an M.Div. at the same time. This innovative residential program combines rigorous academic training with practical ministry preparation, resulting in one of the most effective programs around, so that you can pursue your ministry calling as soon as possible.
Two degrees in five years – all in one program: Accelerate at Midwestern Seminary. Take the next step by visiting mbts.edu/accelerate.
Vanderbloemen Search Group is the premier pastor search firm dedicated to helping churches and ministries build great teams. They’ve helped hundreds of churches just like yours find their church staff and are uniquely geared to help you discern who God is calling to lead your church.
Find out more about Vanderbloemen Search Group by visiting WeStaffTheChurch.com.
If you have a question you would like answered on the show, fill out the form on the podcast page here on Church Answers.