There are often certain characteristics found in pastors who are effective preachers. Today, we discuss seven of those characteristics.
Some highlights from today’s episode include:
- Effective preachers understand that prayer is integral to sermon preparation.
- More and more pastors are doing sermon prep outside of the church office as to avoid distractions.
- If you want to improve your preaching, get someone outside of your church to honestly evaluate your sermons.
- Effective preachers listen to other preachers and use what they learn to improve their own sermons.
The seven habits we discuss are:
- They give preaching a priority in their ministries.
- They make their sermons a vital part of their prayer lives.
- They have a routine in sermon preparation.
- They constantly seek input about their messages.
- They stay committed to a specific sermon length.
- They put the majority of their efforts into one message a week.
- They are constantly looking for ways to improve their communication skills.
Resources mentioned in today’s podcast
Rainer on Leadership is a member of the LifeWay Leadership Podcast Network
Today’s episode is sponsored by Midwestern Baptist Theological Seminary. Midwestern offers more than 25 degrees at both undergraduate and masters level that are fully attainable online. From Business to Bible, Counseling to Christian education, prepare for your future at your own pace and in your own location.
Find out more at mbts.edu/online.
Vanderbloemen Search Group is the premier pastor search firm dedicated to helping churches and ministries build great teams. They’ve helped thousands of churches just like yours find their church staff and are uniquely geared to help you discern who God is calling to lead your church.
For more information, visit WeStaffTheChurch.com.
If you have a question you would like answered on the show, fill out the form on the podcast page here on Church Answers.