Podcast Episode #297
Unanimous votes are rare when pastors are hired. But what if the vote isn’t even close to unanimous? Well, on today’s podcast we discuss a recent post on how to respond when that happens.
Some highlights from today’s episode include:
- Cases can be made both for and against secret ballot votes to call pastors and staff.
- A pastoral candidate’s age difference from the congregation average can lead to a less positive vote.
- It can be difficult for a new pastor to follow a long-term pastor.
- “If you’re a well-loved, long-term pastor, work on succession planning.”
- Lack of familiarity with a staff position can cause a vote to be lower than normal.
- Sometimes, low votes to bring on a staff member is more about a faction in the church than the candidate.
The seven questions to ask are:
- Was the vote secret ballot or open vote?
- What is the history of the church in voting to call pastors and staff?
- Are you replacing a well-loved pastor or staff member?
- Is the position new to many people?
- How long has the position been vacant?
- Are there factions and conflict in the church?
- Were there internal candidates who did not get the position?
Are you getting prepared for the changing ministry landscape? Get your Master of Divinity degree at Midwestern Seminary. The M.Div—Midwestern’s flagship degree program—is their primary track for ministry preparation. At just 81 hours, the Midwestern M.Div offers a complete foundation for full-time ministry leaders, offering everything you need, and nothing you don’t. Join other students in vibrant Kansas City as you train in a unique collaborative environment focused on the local church or study online in your current ministry context. Midwestern Seminary is developing a new culture of discipleship devoted to the local church and committed to taking God’s unchanging Word into a rapidly changing world. Join the movement today.
Find out more at mbts.edu/mdiv.
Vanderbloemen Search Group is the premier pastor search firm dedicated to helping churches and ministries build great teams. They’ve helped hundreds of churches just like yours find their church staff and are uniquely geared to help you discern who God is calling to lead your church.
Find out more about Vanderbloemen Search Group by visiting WeStaffTheChurch.com.
If you have a question you would like answered on the show, fill out the form on the podcast page here on Church Answers.