Podcast Episode #429
Staff issues can derail a church. And when a pastor doesn’t know how to lead a staff, it’s a disaster waiting to happen. Today we discuss six issues pastors often struggle with when they have a staff to lead.
Some highlights from today’s episode include:
- When a new pastor comes to a church, cleaning house with the staff is not always needed.
- You have to set expectations with staff—especially inherited staff.
- Being a lifelong learner is important in ministry because ministry paradigms are always changing.
- If a staff member has lost his/her passion for ministry, it’s likely the result of a personal discipleship issue.
The six staff issues we cover are:
- How do I lead them?
- What should I do with inherited staff?
- How do I deal with a lazy staff member?
- What if a staff member is no longer competent or passionate about his or her ministry?
- What if a staff member refuses to follow my leadership, but he or she has a lot of allies in the church?
- What is the next staff position I should hire or call?
The ministry landscape is changing, and the need for biblical training is more necessary than ever. It’s time to get your Master of Divinity degree. The M.Div —Midwestern Seminary’s flagship degree program — is the primary track for ministry preparation. At just 81 hours, the Midwestern M.Div offers a complete foundation for full-time ministry leaders, offering everything you need, and nothing you don’t. Join other students in vibrant Kansas City as you train in a unique collaborative environment focused on the local church or study online in your current ministry context. Midwestern Seminary is developing a discipleship culture devoted to the local church and committed to God’s unchanging Word. Why not start your training today?
Find out more at mbts.edu/mdiv.
Our friends at Vanderbloemen Search Group help churches and ministries build great teams by finding their key staff, but did you know they have a ton of resources around team building? Their newest addition is TheCultureTool.com, a free comprehensive staff engagement survey to help you build, run, and keep a great team. It’s brand new and still in beta, so check out TheCultureTool.com to be on the cutting edge of this new tool that will help you improve your church staff culture.
Visit TheCultureTool.com to learn more.
If you have a question you would like answered on the show, fill out the form on the podcast page here on Church Answers.