Podcast Episode #285
Church budgets and staff salaries are sometimes sore subjects in churches. Today we examine six trends in church budgeting and salaries that affect churches of any size or denomination.
Some highlights from today’s episode include:
- Growing churches typically have lower per capita giving than established churches.
- Having a large outside income at a church can discourage tithes and offerings from members.
- One of the most rapidly growing trends in the church today is the outsourcing of support functions.
- No matter the church, you can outsource some functions to save funds and create greater efficiencies.
- We are seeing a gradual decrease in church staffing expenses as a percent of budget.
- Church staffing needs should be evaluated constantly, not just addressed at budget time or when someone leaves.
The six budget and salary issues we discuss are:
- Growing churches pay their pastors and staff slightly less than declining churches.
- Only two percent of the churches’ budgets are funded outside congregational giving.
- One third of the churches increased the outsourcing of staff over the past five years.
- Overall church staffing costs have declined to 49 percent of the budget.
- The attendance-to-staff ratio is 76:1.
- About 81 percent of churches limit visibility of specific salaries to a board, a subcommittee, or senior staff.
Are you getting prepared for the changing ministry landscape? Get your Master of Divinity degree at Midwestern Seminary. The M.Div—Midwestern’s flagship degree program—is their primary track for ministry preparation. At just 81 hours, the Midwestern M.Div offers a complete foundation for full-time ministry leaders, offering everything you need, and nothing you don’t. Join other students in vibrant Kansas City as you train in a unique collaborative environment focused on the local church or study online in your current ministry context. Midwestern Seminary is developing a new culture of discipleship devoted to the local church and committed to taking God’s unchanging Word into a rapidly changing world. Join the movement today.
Find out more at mbts.edu/mdiv.
Vanderbloemen Search Group is the premier pastor search firm dedicated to helping churches and ministries build great teams. They’ve helped hundreds of churches just like yours find their church staff and are uniquely geared to help you discern who God is calling to lead your church.
Find out more about Vanderbloemen Search Group by visiting WeStaffTheChurch.com.
If you have a question you would like answered on the show, fill out the form on the podcast page here on Church Answers.