Racial tensions still exist in the United States, and there are certain demographic realities that must be addressed. The country is becoming more diverse and will continue to do so at an increasing rate. On this episode, Thom and Sam discuss how demographic changes will impact all-white churches in America. What can we expect the happen to them in the next ten years?
- Two trends tell the story: The white population is in decline for the first time since 1790, and the youngest generation is minority white.
- Birth rates in all-white congregations have slowed, and all-white churches will become significantly older.
- Gen Z is the most diverse generation and will gravitate towards churches that look like their schools.
- All-white megachurches with large campuses in suburban areas face the steepest declines.
- Some all-white congregations will continue to thrive in areas where they reflect the community.
- Healthy multi-ethnic churches will grow gradually, not exponentially, as they intentionally make an effort to equip, train, and hire people of color.
- Geography will matter less in the future than in the past. Diversity was once an urban reality, but it is now everywhere.
- “What Will Happen to the All-White Church in America? Ten Trends in the Next Ten Years” by Sam Rainer
Southeastern is committed to helping you get the training you need to pursue your ministry from anywhere around the world. That’s why we’re waiving the application fee to any of our programs for Church Answers listeners. Use the code “CHURCHANSWERS” and we’ll waive the fee. No matter what stage of life’s journey you find yourself in, we want to help you take your next step in getting equipped to disciple and teach others. In coming to Southeastern, you’ll find that seminary isn’t just about theological education; it’s about ministry preparation. Explore degrees, schedule a visit, or apply today at sebts.edu.
For 45 years, Walk Thru the Bible has helped people overcome obstacles to knowing and living God’s Word. Our innovative live events and high-quality biblical resources inspire passion for reading God’s Word and advance biblical literacy in 130 countries. Our otLIVE and ntLIVE events help people discover and understand the big picture storyline of God’s grand story of redemption. In just 2½ hours, a trained, certified Walk Thru the Bible instructor leads a church or group in a fun and unforgettable Bible experience event that teaches the major events, people, and chronology of the Old or New Testament. Post event, 75% of participants commit to reading their Bible on a regular basis. Millions of people around the world have experienced a Walk Thru the Bible live event—we can help bring an unforgettable Bible experience to your church. For more information: walkthru.org/bibleexperience. We have a special offer for you at walkthru.org/bibleexperience.