Using research gleaned from the successes of turnaround churches, Thom and Sam reveal the five most significant single changes made by a turnaround church.
- Concerted and intentional corporate prayer
- A pastor-led outward focus
- Necessary subtractions
- A movement of focus
- A pastoral commitment to stay
- Prayer is a key element in helping move your church from a negative tone to a positive tone.
- Expecting your church to turnaround without prayer is an improper expectation.
- Churches which are human centered are doomed for failure.
- The church is not supposed to be a cafeteria for church members.
- Turnaround in the church is usually not going to occur with a series of short-term pastors.
Resources mentioned in today’s podcast:
- Anatomy of a Revived Church – Thom S. Rainer
- Rainer on Leadership – Episode #607
- SEBTS Church Future Indicator
- Revitalize 2020 Convention
- Simple Church
- Church Consultation University
- Church of the Year Nominations
Vanderbloemen has been serving churches for nine years, but did you know that Vanderbloemen also serves Christian schools, nonprofits, and Christian businesses? So if you’re listening, and you know a Christian school, nonprofit, or values-based business that is hiring, contact our friends at Vanderbloemen for your staffing needs.
For more information, visit Vanderbloemen.com.
The mission at Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary is to glorify the Lord Jesus Christ by equipping students to serve the church and fulfill the Great Commission. The school offers more than 40 different degree programs, including the new Master of Arts in Church Revitalization in partnership with Church Answers and the Revitalization Network. This 37-hour degree is designed to help students move established churches from flatlining to flourishing.
Learn about this program and more by visiting sebts.edu. Where are you going? Southeastern will help you get there.
If you have a question you would like answered on the show, fill out the form on the podcast page here on Church Answers.