A crisis that can get overshadowed by COVID, but is plaguing our communities is the opioid epidemic. Opioids and other addictions are destroying individuals, families, and communities. What role does the church play in bringing help and hope amidst such a destructive force? How can churches step into this space and bring Christ’s healing and freedom to people who are enslaved by their addictions? On today’s episode, Thom talks to Steve Arterburn about this crisis and how churches can help.
- Stephen Arterburn is the founder and CEO of New Life Ministries–the nation’s largest faith-based broadcast, counseling, and treatment ministry–and is the host of the nationally syndicated “New Life Live!” daily radio program heard on over 180 radio stations nationwide. Steve is also the founder of the Women of Faith conferences, attended by over 3 million women.
- Steve is also a nationally known public speaker and author. He is written over 60 books and is also the developer and editor of ten Specialty and Study Bibles including The Life Recovery Bible, which has sold over 3,000,000 copies. It is the 2nd all-time best-selling Study Bible at Tyndale.
- Stephen serves as the Teaching Pastor at Northview Church in Carmel, Indiana where he resides with his wife, Misty, and their family.
1. Why did you start a ministry focused on reaching people who were in bondage from addiction?
2. What is the backstory for the Life Recovery Bible and what role do you see this Bible playing in people’s recovery journey?
3. Why is it important for the church to play a vital role in ministering to people and families who have been ravaged by addiction?
4. If a pastor or a church feels called to this ministry what should they be prepared for and how should they prepare?
How to Heal Our Racial Divide by Derwin Gray
- Like many of us, Derwin Gray is weary of the racial divide in our society. But he’s also the founding pastor of a successful and growing multiethnic church – Transformation Church in the metro area of Charlotte, North Carolina.
- In How to Heal Our Racial Divide, what Derwin shares brings the entire message of the gospel to life. Be inspired by the richness of a thriving church that embraces God’s vision and discover the steps to lead your church toward the multiethnic call of Scripture.
- Together our churches and the body of Christ can be the change God yearns to see in our world. For more information on How to Heal Our Racial Divide, visit Tyndale.com.
- You can find the direct link to Derwin Gray’s new book in today’s show notes.
Southeastern is committed to helping you get the training you need to pursue your ministry from anywhere around the world. That’s why we’re waiving the application fee to any of our programs for Church Answers listeners. Use the code “CHURCHANSWERS” and we’ll waive the fee. No matter what stage of life’s journey you find yourself in, we want to help you take your next step in getting equipped to disciple and teach others. In coming to Southeastern, you’ll find that seminary isn’t just about theological education; it’s about ministry preparation. Explore degrees, schedule a visit, or apply today at sebts.edu.