Podcast Episode #451
Every single day, 1,000 Boomers are hitting retirement age. This includes Boomer pastors. Today we discuss the consequences of this reality and also highlight why many are choosing Interim Pastor University to prepare for their next stage of ministry.
Some highlights from today’s episode include:
- More churches are starting to plan for pastoral succession because they’ve seen how other churches have failed with it.
- Thankfully, more churches are starting to raise up pastoral successors from within.
- The interim pastor role has changed over the past few years. It’s no longer primarily just pulpit supply.
- There is no set retirement age for pastors, but too many hang on too long.
The five consequences we discuss are:
- There will be more pastoral vacancies than qualified candidates.
- More churches are giving thought to pastoral succession.
- More and more pastors are getting additional training for interim and bi-vocational positions.
- There is a mixed view on pastors staying at their current churches past retirement age.
- Some Boomer pastors will lead their churches toward mergers and acquisitions.
The ministry landscape is changing, and the need for biblical training is more necessary than ever. It’s time to get your Master of Divinity degree. The M.Div —Midwestern Seminary’s flagship degree program — is the primary track for ministry preparation. At just 81 hours, the Midwestern M.Div offers a complete foundation for full-time ministry leaders, offering everything you need, and nothing you don’t. Join other students in vibrant Kansas City as you train in a unique collaborative environment focused on the local church or study online in your current ministry context. Midwestern Seminary is developing a discipleship culture devoted to the local church and committed to God’s unchanging Word. Why not start your training today?
Find out more at mbts.edu/mdiv.
Applications are now open for Vanderbloemen’s fall pastor coaching network at their Houston headquarters in September and November. There are two networks – one for Lead Pastors and one for Executive Pastors. Each group is limited to 16 people. It’s a roundtable, close-knit network where you will grow as a leader so that you can grow your team and ultimately grow your church.
If you’re interested in joining, visit vanderbloemen.com/coaching for more information.
If you have a question you would like answered on the show, fill out the form on the podcast page here on Church Answers.