Podcast Episode #199
We discuss the etiquette and principles related to hosting a guest preacher or speaker at a church. Be sure to listen for the story about the boa constrictor. Needless to say, Jonathan isn’t a fan of snakes.
Some highlights from today’s episode include:
- Host churches should cover the cost of travel and meals for guest preachers.
- Lodging for guest speakers/preachers should be generous and comfortable.
- For a guest preacher, base the honorarium off your pastor’s salary.
- When determining what to pay a guest speaker, take into consideration the full amount of time given up for the event.
- A small gift for a guest speaker’s family is a great way to thank them for sharing their loved one with your church.
The six considerations that we cover for hosting and compensating a guest preacher or speaker at your church are:
- Cover the cost of travel.
- Reimburse for their meals.
- Lodging should be generous and comfortable.
- Base the honorarium off your pastor’s salary (including housing allowance) – half a percent per service.
- Different events call for different levels of compensation.
- Remember the speaker’s family as well.
Midwestern Seminary, located in the heart of the Midwest, is one of the fastest growing seminaries in North America and offers a fantastic array of academic programs, including multiple online and residential options at the undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral levels. Midwestern’s new 81-hour Mdiv program, online program, and doctoral program have all been recognized as some of the most innovative and affordable in the country. There has never been a better time to begin your seminary education. Midwestern Seminary trains leaders ‘For The Church.’
Visit them online at MBTS.edu and start your ministry training today.
Vanderbloemen Search Group is the premier pastor search firm dedicated to helping churches and ministries build great teams. They’ve helped hundreds of churches just like yours find their church staff and are uniquely geared to help you discern who God is calling to lead your church.
Find out more about Vanderbloemen Search Group by visiting WeStaffTheChurch.com.
If you have a question you would like answered on the show, fill out the form on the podcast page here on Church Answers.