Pastors in the midst of revitalization are often asking us about resources to help them. Today we cover 10 foundational books for revitalization and replanting.
Today’s Listener Question:
I’m currently serving as a Student Pastor, but over the course of the last year I’ve felt called to lead a replant/revitalization. I’ve been slowly taking classes at Midwestern Baptist Theological Seminary, having conversations with other pastors leading replants/revitalizations, and have been meeting with my pastor weekly to grow as a leader and pastor. What books would you recommend to grow and prepare for a ministry of replanting or revitalizing?
- Continual learning is critical for pastors to keep in touch with where churches are heading in the future.
- Most churches have about a 40-year healthy lifespan and then need to adapt for the next generation.
The 10 books we discuss are:
- Reclaiming Glory: Revitalizing Dying Churches by Mark Clifton
- Autopsy of a Deceased Church by Thom Rainer
- Evangelism in the Early Church by Michael Green
- Revitalize: Biblical Keys to Helping Your Church Come Alive Again by Andrew M. Davis
- Who Moved My Pulpit? by Thom Rainer
- Biblical Church Revitalization: Solutions for Dying & Divided Churches by Brian Croft
- Flickering Lamps by Henry and Richard Blackaby
- From Embers to a Flame: How God Can Revitalize Your Church by by Harry L. Reeder III and David Swavely
- Can These Bones Live: A Practical Guide to Church Revitalization by Bill Henard
- Replant Roadmap: How Your Congregation Can Help Revitalize Dying Churches by Mark Hillock
Resources mentioned in this episode include:
- Replanter Assessment
- Find more resources at the Revitalize & Replant page at ThomRainer.com
Submit Your Question:
Do you have a question about church revitalization or replanting for us to use on the podcast? Visit the podcast page to submit your question. If we use it on the show, you’ll get a copy of Autopsy of a Deceased Church and Reclaiming Glory.