People will leave the church you pastor. It’s not a matter of if, but of when. So you need to be prepared for it when it happens. Today, we discuss four distinct times this happens.
- When members leave the church it can be very personal, and that’s what makes it so painful.
- Any changes a pastor makes can be trigger people leaving the church. Just expect it.
- Make changes based on the people you want to reach, not just to appease those already in the church.
- Pastoral candidates need to share realistic ideas when interviewing with a church. Unrealistic ideas create unattainable expectations down the road.
The four waves we discuss are:
- Arrival of the new pastor
- Early changes in year one
- Unmet expectations in year two
- The weariness factor in years three to four
Resources mentioned in this episode include:
- Replanter Assessment
- Find more resources at the Revitalize & Replant page at ThomRainer.com
Submit Your Question:
Do you have a question about church revitalization or replanting for us to use on the podcast? Visit the podcast page to submit your question. If we use it on the show, you’ll get a copy of Autopsy of a Deceased Church and Reclaiming Glory.