Pray for Providence Baptist Church of Rockford in Rockford, Illinois
Providence Baptist Church of Rockford, Illinois formed under the name Providence Missionary Baptist Church in the home of Mr. and Mrs. Genie Bryant in December 1947, after a small group met for a few months in prayer and fellowship. The church is located northwest of Chicago and connects with several organizations and affiliations including the Baptist General State Convention. Under their current pastor, Rev. William Martin, they recently celebrated their 75th year of ministry.
William Martin received the call to serve as a pastor at age 13. He was appointed to Providence Baptist in 2018, studied at Trinity International University, and served as the fifth pastor of the Historic True Vine Baptist Church of Chicago prior to his tenure at Providence. He also currently serves as Chairman of Human Relations of the Baptist General State Convention of Illinois.
Pastor Martin was able to work with community stakeholders to build relationships that improved the quality of life for its residents including after school programs, a local school council, and serving as an active member of the Chicago Police Departments faith-based leadership council. Rev. Martin is married to Brandiss J. Martin and they have two children, Alexcia and Alijah Martin.
Providence Baptist Church of Rockford partnered with a large evangelical church (Forest City Church), beginning their relationship toward racial reconciliation and to display unity. Their partnership included a community block party and the remodel of our new Community Resource Center. The church just opened the Guysie Jenkins Community Resource Center as another means to serve their community. Please pray for their continued relationship with Forest City Church and the use of the Resource Center to engage their community with the gospel.
Join us as we pray specifically for:
- More committed volunteers that will assist us with our after school/mentorship programs.
- Pastor Martin as he serves Providence Baptist and for his family.
- A continued partnership with Forest City Church that will be effective in spreading the gospel and serving their local community.
- The use and wise stewardship of the Guysie Jenkins Community Resource Center to engage the community.
- Pastor Martin and the leadership of Providence, that they will be effective voices, empowered by the Spirit for social justice in their communities and the local government.