A child in your church decides to follow Christ. There is no greater decision!
As a pastor, I’ve sat with numerous parents over the years and walked through the next steps. These conversations are some of the most rewarding in ministry!
Only recently did I sit down and create a checklist of items. Something I wish I had done sooner.
1. Celebrate with gusto. Your child made the greatest decision to follow Christ. Have a party! As you celebrate, point back to Christ. Make sure everyone knows this party is about what Jesus has done.
2. Purchase a Bible for your child. There are many age-appropriate Bibles, and I recommend the New Living Translation. You can look at several options in the Church Answers bookstore.
3. Mark the date. If you can’t remember the exact date of your salvation, don’t worry. You’re still saved. But there is something special about marking the date. You can bless your child by recording the date of their salvation.
4. Record a video of your child’s testimony. The video will help you remember the best details of this glorious moment. You will cherish hearing your child proclaim faith for years to come. Even more so, this video will help your child remember the greatest decision they ever made. We all go through seasons of doubt, especially when we enter our young adult years. You may find this recording helpful when your grown child deals with inevitable doubts and questions we all have about our faith.
5. Write a handwritten letter to your child. Consider giving your child this letter on their eighteenth birthday or some other occasion marking a transition to adulthood.
6. Commit to a church. Frankly, you cannot equip your child in the faith without help. Everyone needs a church.
7. Seek pastoral guidance. Make an appointment with your pastor or someone you trust in church leadership. Your church leaders will likely be able to help with the next steps. In many churches, baptism by immersion will be expected. For example, my church has a baptism class and programming recommendations for families.
These seven steps, plus four others, are contained in my newest e-book, The Greatest Decision: Taking the Next Steps After My Child Accepts Christ.
Every pastor and children’s ministry leader should have this resource. You can download it FREE and give it to as many families as you want for as long as you want.
The e-book also includes a video guide covering these eleven actional steps to help parents cultivate their child’s spiritual growth.
There is no greater decision than the one to follow Christ. I hope this free resource benefits you and your church.
Posted on March 15, 2023
As President of Church Answers, Sam Rainer wears many hats. From podcast co-host to full-time Pastor at West Bradenton Baptist Church, Sam’s heart for ministry and revitalization are evident in all he does.
More from Sam