Podcast Episode #247
Pastors go through several emotions when church members leave. Today, we cover five reasons why.
Some highlights from today’s episode include:
- Even when someone has a good reason for leaving a church, it still feels very personal when they leave.
- It’s not just pastors who hurt when church members leave. Staff, members and leaders do as well.
- Almost every community has a “hot church” that some church members chase after.
- New members classes allow churches to discuss and deter serial church hopping.
- It’s normal for pastors to hurt when church members leave.
- There is a grief process for pastors when a church member leaves.
- Pastors, if you ever get to a point where a church member leaving doesn’t hurt, you’ve got a problem.
The five reasons it hurts when a church members leaves are:
- It feels like personal rejection.
- Relationships have developed.
- There has been much time invested.
- There is concern for the overall morale of the church.
- There is a fear others will follow.
Midwestern Seminary, located in the heart of the Midwest, is one of the fastest growing seminaries in North America and offers a fantastic array of academic programs, including multiple online and residential options at the undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral levels. Midwestern’s new 81-hour Mdiv program, online program, and doctoral program have all been recognized as some of the most innovative and affordable in the country. There has never been a better time to begin your seminary education. Midwestern Seminary trains leaders ‘For The Church.’
Visit them online at MBTS.edu and start your ministry training today.
Vanderbloemen Search Group is the premier pastor search firm dedicated to helping churches and ministries build great teams. They’ve helped hundreds of churches just like yours find their church staff and are uniquely geared to help you discern who God is calling to lead your church.
Find out more about Vanderbloemen Search Group by visiting WeStaffTheChurch.com.
If you have a question you would like answered on the show, fill out the form on the podcast page here on Church Answers.