Even when you’re feeling your best, preaching is an exhausting endeavor. But sometimes you get sick. Pastors can also struggle with their emotions or mental health issues. Then there are the Sundays when you’re just grumpy. On this episode, Thom and Sam talk about how to preach even when you don’t feel like it. They share some practical tips to help you get through the message without faking it.
1. Some long-term solutions are obvious, like getting a good night’s rest, exercising, and praying.
2. Be honest. Tell your congregation you don’t feel well physically. Mention how God’s Word is worth the struggle to be in church.
3. Use your spiritual battles to illustrate sermons but be careful not to share too much publicly. God can use your battle to bring someone else eternal victory.
4. Emphasize the part of your sermon that excites you most. When you aren’t feeling well, focus most on something you can feel.
5. Be willing to hit a single. Use your limited energy to muster through a decent message rather than striking out swinging for the fences when you’re weary.
Southeastern is committed to helping you get the training you need to pursue your ministry from anywhere around the world. That’s why we’re waiving the application fee to any of our programs for Church Answers listeners. Use the code “CHURCHANSWERS” and we’ll waive the fee. No matter what stage of life’s journey you find yourself in, we want to help you take your next step in getting equipped to disciple and teach others. In coming to Southeastern, you’ll find that seminary isn’t just about theological education; it’s about ministry preparation. Explore degrees, schedule a visit, or apply today at sebts.edu.
NLT Life Application Study Bible, Third Edition
- Trusted & Treasured by Millions of Readers over 30 years, the Life Application® Study Bible Is Today’s #1–Selling Study Bible
- Winner of the 2020 Christian Book Award for Bible of the Year!
- Now it has been thoroughly updated and expanded, offering even more relevant insights for understanding and applying God’s Word to everyday life in today’s world.
- Discover How You Can Apply the Bible to Your Life Today
- Link in show notes