Podcast Episode #311
I hear far too often about the very real problem of preacher eating churches. We cover six traits that are found in these churches and how to remedy them.
Some highlights from today’s episode include:
- Many times, church members are unaware that pastoral tenure is an issue in their church.
- There are bullies and power groups in nearly every church.
- Perpetual church conflict works against the Great Commission.
- If you are catering to a handful of families,whoever comes after you could be less successful because of it.
- Too many pastors are expected to know needs about which they haven’t been told.
- Many pastors and staff are woefully under-compensated.
- Before taking a new pastorate, talk to pastors in the area about the church.
The six traits of preacher eater churches we discuss are:
- Their pastors don’t stick around long.
- The church has bullies and power groups.
- The church is in perpetual conflict.
- The church has non-biblical expectations of the pastor.
- The church does not believe pastors should be compensated adequately.
- The pastor’s family is not supported.
Are you getting prepared for the changing ministry landscape? Get your Master of Divinity degree at Midwestern Seminary. The M.Div—Midwestern’s flagship degree program—is their primary track for ministry preparation. At just 81 hours, the Midwestern M.Div offers a complete foundation for full-time ministry leaders, offering everything you need, and nothing you don’t. Join other students in vibrant Kansas City as you train in a unique collaborative environment focused on the local church or study online in your current ministry context. Midwestern Seminary is developing a new culture of discipleship devoted to the local church and committed to taking God’s unchanging Word into a rapidly changing world. Join the movement today.
Find out more at mbts.edu/mdiv.
Vanderbloemen Search Group is the premier pastor search firm dedicated to helping churches and ministries build great teams. They’ve helped hundreds of churches just like yours find their church staff and are uniquely geared to help you discern who God is calling to lead your church.
Find out more about Vanderbloemen Search Group by visiting WeStaffTheChurch.com.
If you have a question you would like answered on the show, fill out the form on the podcast page here on Church Answers.