All other things being equal, longer pastoral tenure tends to enhance the health of a church. Kevin and Thom look at trends in pastoral tenure after COVID.
1. Median pastoral tenure is up to five years.
2. COVID extended pastoral tenure because few pastors left their churches during the pandemic.
3. Boomers are retiring or stepping down in much greater numbers.
4. Millennials are not seeking larger churches.
5. Megachurch pastoral tenure is declining.
6. Church closures will obviously affect tenure adversely.
7. The move away from full-time paid pastors could affect tenure significantly.
Revitalize & Replant is sponsored by the North American Mission Board and ChurchReplanters.com. More than 10% of churches in North America are at risk of closing and the North American Mission Board is committed to reversing this trend by decreasing the death rate of existing churches while simultaneously increasing the birth rate of new churches. To learn more about what it means to become a replanting pastor or to explore resources for replanting and revitalization in your own church, visit ChurchReplanters.com.