Does a pastor have either a right or an obligation to address issues caused by a staff member’s spouse or children? Thom and Mark look at ways to navigate this tricky issue.
1. Discern the nature and the severity of the problem before talking to the staff member.
2. Don’t try to solve other church members’ interpersonal issues with the person.
3. Look at any conversation with the staff member as an opportunity to help and to be pastoral.
4. If the problem is severe, consider finding help for the staff member and his or her family member.
5. Though termination is an option, it should be a rare option.
Revitalize & Replant is sponsored by the North American Mission Board and ChurchReplanters.com. More than 10% of churches in North America are at risk of closing and the North American Mission Board is committed to reversing this trend by decreasing the death rate of existing churches while simultaneously increasing the birth rate of new churches. To learn more about what it means to become a replanting pastor or to explore resources for replanting and revitalization in your own church, visit ChurchReplanters.com.