What to Expect in 2021 with Church Giving Trends

Through the late spring and summer, our team at Church Answers observed a consistent theme. Though some churches experienced a decline in giving, many reported steady giving patterns. A few reported a slight increase in giving.

It will take time to know exactly why giving did not drop off more as the pandemic took hold, but some initial reasons are beginning to emerge.

  • The quick action by Congress, the Federal Reserve, and the SBA got needed cash to Americans. This excess liquidity enabled people to continue giving to charitable causes, including churches.
  • At first, many anticipated the pandemic to last a few weeks, not months. People kept giving thinking the storm would be shorter in duration.
  • The shock factor of not gathering in person prompted members to rally behind their churches. People were willing to endure what they thought were short-term changes, and they kept giving with the hope of returning back to normal soon.
  • Out of necessity, people shifted to digital methods of giving. Even church members who would never consider this pathway prior to the pandemic were willing to make the leap.

Things changed in the fall. A second round of stimulus checks did not materialize. At some point in the summer, people realized this was a longer-term problem. And the lack of gathering in person caused churches to lose momentum. The one trend that continues to help churches is digital giving, but it’s not enough. 

Currently, we estimate over half of churches are experiencing giving challenges. Far too few churches are preparing for what could be a rocky 2021. While the latest reports about vaccine effectiveness are good signs, the reality is much of the economic damage is already done and will affect churches in the coming year. 

  • Only 3% of churches currently have worship attendance at or above pre-COVID levels.
  • Four out of five churches have reopened. Larger churches are reporting worship attendance at about 35% pre-COVID levels. Smaller churches are about 50% pre-COVID levels.
  • At Church Answers, we are projecting 20% of people that were attending will never return. This figure will be bigger for larger churches.
  • These lower attendance trends will affect giving in 2021. In short, you cannot bank on things returning to normal at some point next year. Almost every church will be smaller in 2021.

How can you prepare for this shift?

One simple adjustment is to lower your budget by the same percentage of people you anticipate will not return. For example, one in five people nationally are not expected to return to church—a 20% decline. If you estimate a similar figure for your church, then lower the budget by 20% in 2021.

Lowering expenses may be necessary. But you need to pour just as much energy into increasing revenue. Emphasize giving throughout the year. Celebrate new givers. Hand write notes to people who give sacrificially. Send out regular updates to the church on how their giving is positively impacting the mission. 

Even after lowering the budget, your church may need to dip into reserve funds in 2021. Work with whatever group that helps with the finances to determine an amount of reserve funds to be used if necessary. For example, let’s assume you have a 2021 budget of $400,000 and reserve funds of $100,000. You could plan to use $50,000 of reserve funds in the case of a budget shortfall before enacting spending freezes. 

The financial impact of COVID in churches will last into 2021. Now is the time to start preparing.

Posted on December 2, 2020

As President of Church Answers, Sam Rainer wears many hats. From podcast co-host to full-time Pastor at West Bradenton Baptist Church, Sam’s heart for ministry and revitalization are evident in all he does.
More from Sam

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


  • Find a church member in good financial state, maybe older small business owner and ask to teach finances management class for free at the church. Americans are broke. A person giving generously but with credit card debt should not cheer anybody. We ask regularly but do not help them to stay sound themselves.

  • Churches may need to lower their budgets, but not because 20% will not return to worship once the pandemic has run its course. The old adage is that 20% of the members provide 80% of the giving. The likelihood is that most of the 20% who do not return are not included in the 20% of generous givers.

  • Whar you said on giving is a mouth full. ‘Brethren really needs to be encouraged again. The Pandemic has really damaged our focus and commitment in doing God’s work. It’s never like before.

  • Our church is an anomaly in that we have grown substantially during the pandemic. Part of the reason for that is being in a more rural area the mindset is traditionally one of perseverance and survival despite the odds. This has caused the community to sort of rally around the church because they understand the importance of the church, especially in difficult times. We expect this trend to continue into 2021, and we are beginning to have discussions now on moving to two services to accommodate our growth. I pray we will be ready!

  • After reading the article What to Expect in 2021 with Church Giving,” I am curious to know why the expectation is approx. one on five will not return to church post-COVID? Can you share what the reasoning is behind this assumption? Thank you and have a blessed Christmas season.

  • Churches are no better than the 9 million ppl who remain un- or under employed now. If the American ppl have to trim the fat and do without, the church will too. There are churches that have become nothing more than big bureaucracy with men holding fancy titles and making $100000 annually in salary pensions and perks. Jesus was poor. His word warned us about coming down out of the ivory palaces.

  • Steve Cash says on

    Thank you

  • There is the United States of America Constitutional Amendments: clearly states separation of church and state.

    Taking money from the gas is a clear violation of the America Constitution. If you want money pay taxes

  • Thank you for a great helpful article to allow us as Pastors to see upcoming trends. Very Helpful.

  • Dwayne Pickett says on

    Thanks for the advice, Sam. We are about to finalize the budget for 2021 and we are going to follow your advice. I will send you an update at about mid-year.

  • Sam do you have any tips on spouses that cannot agree on their giving?