In last week’s episode, Thom and Sam looked at the growing reality of the Never Attenders in the United States. Today, they discuss how churches might reach this group.
- Over one in three Americans is a Never Attender.
- The Never Attender used to be an outlier group with typical demographic characteristics. Today, the group is a cross-section of most demographic groups.
- It is likely that the growth of the Never Attenders came from Cultural Christians.
- Simply put, our church’s outreach must focus more on evangelism than reaching transfers.
- Most churches in America have little to no emphasis on evangelism.
- But we do know that many Never Attenders will be receptive to the gospel.
- “The Unchurched Next Door: Understanding Faith Stages As Keys to Sharing Your Faith” by Thom S. Rainer
- Check out the Church Answers Christian bookstore! Shop curated, trusted resources for Christian life and ministry.
Eligible high schoolers can earn college credit online, the first class is free (not including books and course materials), and they get a significant discount ($166 per credit vs. $613 per credit) for every subsequent class. They can choose from more than 30 available courses. Here are just a few additional details not included on the flier:
- This program is open to third-culture kids, homeschool students, private and public school students, etc.
- Students can start during any eight-week session – summer, fall, spring, each semester has two sessions as indicated on the flier
- The first-class free offer is limited. I do not yet know for how long, but we should market it as temporary for now.
- Many students have successfully completed courses during their normal school year. Classes are asynchronous, so they can access course materials at their convenience.
- Sometimes universities have similar programs and they make classes specific for high school students – HS students sitting with other HS students. In our program, participants sit in on real college courses, with actual college student peers. They get the real deal through our experience.