In most cases, the lead pastor has oversight of church staff. How much authority should the lead pastor have when hiring new church staff? This question recently came up in Church Answers Central from one of our members (Thanks Deek!). Thom and Sam tackle this subject on this week’s episode.
- There are numerous kinds of church polity, but certain principles apply to most governance structures.
- If the lead pastor has no say in the selection process, then the church will likely experience staff conflict.
- In certain cases, lead pastors have unilateral authority but should still seek accountability when hiring staff.
- Congregational votes are problematic for church staff outside of the lead pastor.
- The personnel committee (or similar body) should be involved rather than a separate search team with church members.
- Follow the letter of your bylaws or change them to accommodate a new process, but you should not knowingly break your bylaws to get your way.
- Church Answers University – SPECIAL OFFER: 50% scholarships (a value of $748). If you are interested, contact [email protected]
- Check out the Church Answers Christian bookstore! Shop curated, trusted resources for Christian life and ministry.
NLT Life Application Study Bible, Third Edition
Discover How You Can Apply the Bible to Your Life Today
With a fresh two-color interior design and meaningfully updated study notes and features, this Bible will help you understand God’s Word better than ever. It answers the real-life questions that you may have and provides you practical yet powerful ways to apply the Bible to your life every day.
Study the stories and teachings of the Bible with verse-by-verse commentary. Gain wisdom from people in the Bible by exploring their accomplishments and learning from their mistakes. Survey the big picture of each book through overviews, vital statistics, outlines, and timelines, and grasp difficult concepts using in-text maps, charts, and diagrams—all to help you do life God’s way, every day.
Church Answers University is a fast-growing school that offers ministry training and education at a fraction of the cost of typical degree programs. The school currently offers the Certification in Christian Ministry and the Certification in Women’s Discipleship.
For Rainer on Leadership podcast listeners, we have been given FIVE 50% scholarships (a value of $748). If you are interested, contact [email protected].