In a recent consultation with a church, Thom encountered such entrenched denial that it was not possible for the church to move forward. Why is denial so common and so deadly in many churches today? Mark and Thom examine five reasons.
1. Denial is the most common way to deal with painful realities.
2. Many churches are still searching for the silver bullet.
3. Many churches are convinced that a return to methodologies of the past is the answer.
4. Many churches actually do not think they are declining when they are.
5. Denial is a way to “kick the can.”
Revitalize & Replant is sponsored by the North American Mission Board and ChurchReplanters.com. More than 10% of churches in North America are at risk of closing and the North American Mission Board is committed to reversing this trend by decreasing the death rate of existing churches while simultaneously increasing the birth rate of new churches. To learn more about what it means to become a replanting pastor or to explore resources for replanting and revitalization in your own church, visit ChurchReplanters.com.